Friday, April 22, 2011

The Thoughts of J. Krishnamurti.

Jedu Krishnamurti's lifelong works has been considered highly controversial by many and simply and easily understood and acceptable by some. In most of his talks Krishnamurti invited everyone present to participate in the 'Discussions' rather than listen to one man's lecture or point of views. Krihnamurti did not consider himself a spiritual 'Guru' or an exponent of any particular teaching or philosophy, he was more into taking his audiences for a Stroll through the maze of the human mind. Picking it to pieces and putting them back together in every which way like a jig saw puzzle, that often seemed impossible yet fits and makes sense. Jedu Krishnamurti offered a peek into the workings and the trappings of thoughts, the hidden truths of our reliance on it and the dangers of not recognizing our ignorance of its functions.
Throughout his life Krishnamurti tried in every which way to expose the falacies of organized religion. the education system and the institutions that deals with them, he tried to free the human mind and spirit from the bonds of 'follow the leader' mentality simply through having a thorough understanding of 'Who you are' or who am I.Through self discovery and right understanding of relationship man can eleviate himself from manyof the man made horrors such as wars and oppressions. 'You are the World', 'The world is You', he emphasized time and again and change for the better can only come through your each and every individual self realizations.
"What you are , the world Is."
For those who have studied him with greater depth and insight krishnamurti's thoughts and reflections runs a whole lot deeper in meaning than meets the eye especially when put into practice on a daily basis. From the simplest act of watching your mind in action to understanding the workings of your neurosystems in the brain in relation to these actions, you may gain an insight into the hows and whys of the human conflicts, and an insight even unto the process of death and dying itself.
"...to die...an ending to all things of memory - that is death, a death not seperable from living."
Krishnamurti spoke of Intelligence ...
" Intelligence is the capacity to discern, to understand, to distinguish, it is also the capacity to observe, to put together all that we have gathered and to act from that. That gathering, that discernment, that observation can be prejudiced; and intelligence is denied when there is prejudice. If you follow another intelligence is denied, the following of another however noble denies your own perception, denies your own observation - you are merely following somebody who will tell you what to do, what to think. If you do that, than intelligence does not exist, because in that there is not observation and therefore no inttelligence. Intelligence demands doubting, questioning, not being impressed by others, by their enthusiasm or their energy..."
Most of his thoughts and lectures were not too far from the teachings of the great teachers of old such as The Buddha, Christ and the Rishis of India, but it is the manner in which he laid them down that made Krishnamurti a man unto himself. I came to know the man sometime in the late seventies when I was at the University of Wisconsin in Green Bay. I stumbled upon a small book of his entitled "The Way of Intelligence" and the rest was history. I was hooked and from then on I made it my mission to fully understand the man and his teachings as it challenged my own intelligence. His words evoked from within me my own thoughts came alive from his words like sparks from a flintstone triggering wildfires within my mind, I was never the same after this chance encounter.
It was after my introduction to J. Krishnamurti's works that I decided to change my University course and designed my own program till I graduated with a BA degree of my own design. I remember being in a quagmire of college life with very little meaning other than the waste of time and money while not learning very much from the studio classes I was in. Krishnamurti shouted in my mind one night "Change!! Now!!" and I did the very next morning when I woke up from the dream I was having. I opted to do my studies off campus with my first trip to London and Wales in 1979. The trip further opened my eyes and my mind and art took a whole new dimension in my life, I became a full time artist living on the street as one and I still do.
"A man who is passionate about the world and the necessity for change, must be free from political activity, religious conformity and tradition - which means free from the weight of time, free from the burden of the past, free from the action of the will; this is the new human being. This only is the social, psychological, and even political revolution."
Pg.147.."The Urgency of Change"

No comments: