Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Memorable Day in Kuwait

Not a great picture quality wise but its the best i got taken by 'The Genius" Adam so it iwll do. My niece and her two other boys the youngest girl was sleeping down with Chicken pox.
Sometime on the twentieth of March I visited my nephew and niece in Kuwait and spent soemtime with the kids .. my grand kids!! It was a memorable experience which helped me to come back to earth in a sense after living with my son for the past few months having a huge villa all to myself!
So the father decided to take the boys and me for a trip to downtown Kuwait and to the Science Muzeum where they had an aquarium and many other entertainments for children.
It was located on the water front with speed boats zooming by every now and then and ther was also a permanent display of the local heritage boats from days gone by.

We had fun and I was thrilled by the 3D movie we saw of the dinasour era of the sea creatures, it was very fascinating and brought out the child in me watching it.
On the way home i caught a cloud bank far off in the distant horizon and mentioned it to my nephew who did not think much of it at the time.
As we kept heading homeward the cloud bank seemed to loom larger than before and I started for my camera...
The mosue stood still ni comaprisson as the cloud bank rose and continued on menacingly towards us...Foreboding thoughts began to infest my imagination as we dreove on and I noticed other drivers driving alongside us raising their eyes and making gestures towards the sky like..what in heavens name??

Like in a movie of horror natural disasters the sky began to become darker and the traffic began to pick up.
As this cloud bank looms even more closer I thought of the movie "The Fog", naah, I told myself I am sure this is something that happens here every so often..
The ooldest of my nephew was asking my to roll up the window and I kept snapping away every few hundre yards as we drove along...
Thie drive of the pickup truck drove by looking at me questioningly raising his two palms skywards as if praying...
We camt to a junction with a street light and where we had to turn left otwards the apartments but had a hard time doing it because the crossing traffic was not stopping even when the red light had turned on for them. There was alot of honking as everyone it seemed were running from the oncoming wall of strong wind and sand.
Fortunately we made it towards the apartments where my nephew and niece lived and as we pulled into the parking lot the whole sky was almost covered in darkness.
It was like night had fallen withing fifteen minutes from the moment I noticed the cloudbank till we got to the parking lot.
We barely made it into the elevator before we were slammed by sandblasting of mother nature.
I opened my rear window trying to catch the last remaining light bust was too latr, the picutre I got was just full of sand!
Next morning I took a look at the swimming pool area down below and what a sight it was! Even the walls were covered with sand from God knows where...perhaps as they said in the News media, from the Iraqi desert somewhere. The News paper claimed that wind guste at no less the eighty miles per hour and that all flights were and cancelled, it was a storm of the Century for Kuwait...and I was there!!

No comments: