Tuesday, March 01, 2011

A few of my Printmaking Experiments

If I have the excess to a printmaking studio for a month free to do my thing without interference I can create a solo exhibition worthy by any standard of contemporary prinmaking exhibition today. Prinmaking has alway been my love of being an artist.

I used to work around the clock where i eat sleep and whatever else in the the printmaking shop at the University of Wisconsin Green Bay so much so that I was allowed special permission to do so after school hours by the security department of the University.


I did most of these prints While i was living in Sendai, Japan and frequented the Miyagi Museum of Fine Arts where they had an open studio facility for all artists to use. The facility included among other things a Printmaking Studio and i was in Art Heaven!



The Studio brought together many great Japanese Artists and Architects and we shared our thoughts and ideas while doing our respective works. I am proud to say that my Japanese Artist friends considered me a 'Master' in my style of printmaking.

Sadly today it is hard to come by such a work environment much less such a facility where the support and appreciation was genuine and heartfelt that one's creative instincts just manifest unabated.

Today I find Art and creativity has become a competition of who can be the best and make the most money of become the most popular so much so that it has become another merchandise for the market place. Most artists i found have become self serving and to the point of viciousness in protecting their interest or their resources, sharing is becoming a rare trait.



It was at the Miyagi Muzium of Arts in Sendai that i learned what being a caring and sharing Artist was all about. Kudos! to all those who were responsible for the making it happen. The caretakers, the Instructors, the management, it was an ispiring program.





















































1 comment:

Nance said...

Love the prints. Seems to have you exploring in different aesthetics than usual.