Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Castles in the Sand

You rarely see thiss kind of luxury in Kuala Lumpur or Penang but here in Dubai just about every other vehicle that passes you by on the highway is bound to turn your head around.
Thursday nights you get to see or hear them roar along the multi- laned highways most are probably driven by young Emeratis whose life is a bowl of peach when it comes to wealth and what it affords.


The Marina itself was like Monte Carlo or somewhere in the Floridas where boats worth more than the average homes found in Malaysia are moored alongside each othere. Just to maintian these luxury is enought to make your economic head spin.




There is so much wealth showcased in one place like I have rarely seen before and it makes you wonder at the meaning of it all this existence that we call living. It makes me feel guiltyinside to even be here knowing that I cannot afford to pay my rent where i came from!! But live and let live as for every down there is always an upper all a matter of time if one so desires. To exist on downers alonecan be one hell of a boring existance and to be on the upper all the time will be as equally monotonous as there is no rythm whatsoever to your life.



The house of cards, thats what my son viewed Dubai to be whe I asked him how long will all these last as we drove around the Desert City of dreams. I felt like I was in a fantasy land, a chapter of the Arabian Nights being told of a Khalifa who once had a dream of raising a Mega City outof the Sands.

A part of me admires the audacity of the rulers whose vision has become a reality in manifesting such a futuristic city upon a piece of land that was once simply a desert area. However when I had the opportunity to have sen the whole city it struck me as the whole idea is preposteros and a grand waste of money and resources. I asked my son who are going to occupy those buildings and he said he has no idea but ll he knew is that most people who have made a residence of tis city, the expatriates are leaving.
At least I told my son they could install solar panels on top of all these bildings it might save them alot of energy in the long run. He agreed,however he said this one thing about the locals, they will never listen to anyone and themslves are very short sighted. One positive step that have shown a difference in my opinion about the environment is the fact that alot of grenery have started to take root all over the City. Perhaps tis might make a difference I told my son. If they keep this up there might be a significant change in the whole environment, for better or worse.The weather itself might get affected by the prescence of the trees and green pastures.







We drove by another almost completed group of residence area and I asked if theses were the low cost housing area and my son said yes, more for the higher income bracket of foreign workers like secretaries and hotel and motel employees but not too many are occupied and most probably never will be. Why? Cant you smell that sewage!! Who would like to endure living within the area with that raw shit smell!! I took a whiff out of my window and sure enough, theres that fammiliar smell that I used to take in while driving along the Jelutung Highway in Penang while they were building the present sewage plant. Most homeowners would want to make sure that the toilets in their homes work efficiently and most city dwellers would like to make make sure that their sewage facility is up and running as a priority. Otherwise shit happens, shit hits the fence, shit is not something one would compromise with while choosing a home.

No comments: