Monday, November 15, 2010

H&H Ship Services -3

Stand Tall and Deliver... as the titel went for a movie... So i stood tall and tried my damndest to deliver and I was instrumental in turning a company from being on the verge of being shut down into a two million dollars profit for the first year of my services.

Being a hazardous waste management facilty it meant that the company was constantly bring audited by the EPA, The Dept. Of Health, The DOT, the Fir Department, the Police Department, and being located on the water front also the Coast Guard. Yes, it was fun learning about all the paper works and what money can do. Most of the 'Boys' were well seasoned working along the water front and have been with the company off and on for most of their career life.


Some were new at what they were doing but were willing and quick learners. I had to earn their respect the hard waybut i did not busdge from any adversities in the line carrying out my duties, I was still a foreigner to most of them.



I had my friends and mentors and they looked after my safety and well being, they covered my back against those who envy my position or had ill will towards me. Oddell was one of those gentlemen.




There were those who could not read or even write their names but in the end they were awarded certificates for safety trainings to be able to do their jobs. I treated all my men with love as though they were my family and they felt this so much so that they refused to let me do any sweeping of cleaning up after I was raised to become the Yard Boss.



It was a dowright dirty and messy work cleaning up UST and before i was hired none wore any safety gears, I made sure that they were well protected before they entered the tanks to clean including supply of air tanks whenever necessary.


Cleaning the isides of the vacuum trucks was part of the daily jobs and getting into these tanks was cosidered confine space entry which required close monitoring. Sludge that came out of these trucks was collected into a pit and later transfered for dispossal.




When you enjoy taking pictures you will find that you seldom appear in your pictures! Taken out of context or looked at at different times by someoneelse the pictures become meaningless. So take pictures but try to be in it too aa a point of refference.











No comments: