Thursday, November 18, 2010

San Francisco 1988 sketches

My duaghter's middle name was taken from this elderly lady who had adopted me and my family in San Francisco her name was Estelle. She was formerly from Nova Scotia, Canada and the mother my good friend Buddha Ron from Stinson beach.

In 88 I was living on Cortland Avenue, San francisco in the Bernal Heights area. I was then lving with a lovely lady Ms. Debra M. and was working as a produce buyer.

Most of these sketches are fading from age and perhaps poor quality ink, but in themselves they gives a feeling of days gone by, moments in the past anostalgic refference.


Everytime i view any of my sketches floods of thoughts and experiences rushes into my mind, the warm and the cold, the good and the bad.




On my days off i would take along drive from the City to the Marin Headlands parking at MUir beach or green Gulch Farm and then do some hiking through the valley and up and around the hills till i get back to where i started at Muir beach.



The Golden Gate Park was always my place of choice while living in SF and this was where i did alot of creative thinking as well as raised my two chiildren.





A sight of Muir beach en route towards green Gulch Farm.







At the Mission District on Army Street while waiting for the unemployment Office to open


Passing time on the water front was another place you could find me especially when I was on my lunch break while employed with H@H Ship Services.


There are a number of designated parking areas with great views of the Bridge. My favorites are on the Marin County side. Head North on Highway 101 and cross the Bridge. The first exit is Vista Point at the North end of the Bridge. You can look right down the roadway of the Bridge. The arch in the roadway is noticeable from this location. Vista Point is also a popular spot to take your camera and walk across the Bridge. You can see the details close up on those magnificent towers.

The Golden Gate Bridge was more than just a bridge, it was for me a sense of pride and accomplshment. I had driven back and forth on this bridge while visiting my friends at green Gulch and Stinson Beach and everytime i was on it I felt humbled by the human feat it took to build this bridge.





"The Golden Gate Bridge was named for the entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Army Captain John C. Fremont named the strait “Chrysopylae” or Golden Gate in 1846. Building a Bridge across this strait was a feat of modern engineering. People from around the world come to see its legendary beauty."





“Its great steel arms link shore with shore”. The cables connecting each end of the Bridge look delicate when seen from a distance. They are actually 27,572 wires woven together 6 wires at a time. The individual wires are the size of a pencil. 80,000 miles of wire were used to make the cables. The finished cables ended up to be three feet thick. Now they were ready to start hanging the roadway from the cables.











No comments: