Monday, June 21, 2010

Humind-scape a Bahari Solo Exhibition.

My upcoming Solo Exhibition will happen on the 10th. of July and it will be Officiated by my Chinese brother LeeKhai at the Penang Malays Art Gallery on Chulia Street. The oppening will be at 5.30 PM on Saturday which also falls on the Governor's Birthday.
I will try to get a few picture samples of what will be on the walls if and when I get around to getting the pictures.
It has been quite a while since i last had a show and many local friends have been wondering if i had decided to quit and become a full time lecturer instead. Well I keep telling them that fact that i will not have a show just for the sake of keeping up with the pack and that i will have a show only when I feel ike something new and exciting happens, something that is not my usual stuff and in the last week or two something did. While discussing with my friend Rashid on what to do we started reflecting upon the idea of breaking away from the groove, create something that is not associated with our style or technique. This discussion led to the simplest technique that he thought I should explore, Marbling. I dont know if it is the right term used but the technique I learned in primary school was something no many has explored and it is what I decided to create my works from.
Yesterday I invited Leekhai to view about twenty framed pieces and he had a luke warm reaction to them. I cna understand this as Lee has always expected to see my dramatic slashes of lines drawn with confidence and accuracy as he deemed my stength lies in. But here he is looking at a bunch of amaturish pices of manipulated colo designs which, "anyone can achieve".
I agreed with him partly but all night long i dwelled on this and have come to the conclusion that I will stand my ground and take the chances of being rejected by my audiences, I have to test the waters. I have always maintained that my works are never finished but ar part and process of an ongoing project and this is yet another experiment which I hope to continue into the future culminating in the combination of all that i have learned and utilized in the effort to create my very own works.
From the fiscal perpective i am gambling with the hope to make some extra cash so that i can register my daughter into college comes the Month of August. It is a lame excuse for having an exhibition but... I am not my brother. So if there are those who read this and decide to lend a helping hand come buy a piece or two and donate towards a cause...the elegant beggar is reaching out again.
So, Father's Day came yesterday and went and what do I feel about fatherhood? Well after reading the first two paragraphs you might sum up the idea of what a man would be willing to sacrifice for his children. Today is also my son Karim's Birthday and i just wished him so in his FaceBook. Last night my friend Shaparin and i drove to his friend's house to pick up an old violin that need fixing but is still in good condition and this will be karim's birthday present along with Shaparin's offer to become his music teacher. Shaparin is an artist and an extraordinary musician, he will make a great teacher for my son as he is also not too much older than Karim but has seen and tasted life alot more than most his age. So it will entirely up to my son to make it happen if this is his calling, I personally feel it is but than I could be wrong and well it will still be a good birthday present even if the violin is made in China and is on loan for him to start off with... a great humble beginning for a genius waitng to explode.
MAN CAN ONLY PROPOSE...GOD DISPOSES
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY SON!

No comments: