Thursday, December 31, 2009

Saying Farewell to 2009

One of my new year's resolution is to loose a few kilos in the middle.









There were moments of highs and lows throughout the year with the lows outweighing the highs not that i am making any comparison or complaining but from reflecting back on the events that has transpired throughout the year, (the advantage of having a diary/blog) I would say that the loss of my wife was the most significant event for 2009. It was both a sad as well as relief kind of tragedy which the Baharis had it coming and we have learned to live with it and moved on. My wife's departure has become an inspiration for all of us to do better in our lives in her memory.
My visit to my son in Dubai and having met Timo my son for the first time was the highlight of the year for me. I am a proud father where my children are concern as from what I observe all have good heads on their shoulders and are capable of taking care of themselves when I am not around.
My two children living with me in Malaysia has now become Malaysian citizens officially and it is with mixed feelings that I come to accept this as loosing their American citizenship is not something that one takes lightly. However in the long run I feel it is for the best in their lives as it will hopefully make their lives a whole lot less complicated as far as schooling or working in the future is concern. I have come to learn a great deal personally through the whole process as it enriches my knowledge about myself in dealing with the Government agencies. Sometimes things got to a point when I was tempted to resort to my old habit of giving up and saying screw it, but i persevered and it paid off.
Financially I did not do too bad considering that I did not hold any regular job other than working part time for my cousin and his catering business. I still owe a thousand or so to different parties for those days when I was in dire need of cash and my cousin Zakaria and my friend Lee helped to ease my burden on occasion. I am a little disappointed of the fact that I am dependant on others however the flip side of the coin is that those that i depended on are closest to me and i give in return to them whatever i can even if it may not be in dollars and cents. I truly believe that it is out of all these humbling experiences that I am being put to the test in my effort to discover my original nature.. who am I? What is my original nature before my parents conceive me? What is my function in this short span of so called life? What is my relationship to my fellow man? How far or how near am I to the Truth that I seek?
On the 7Th. of January i will begin my career as a lecturer at The Equator College of Fine Arts here in town! I am proud of it and look foreword to a new adventure in the academic world. This came as great boon for me and my children as it helps to put me back up in my standing among the 'successful' as far as the relatives and community goes. It is indeed a great New Year's Gift. my daughter has also started working for an Australian Lady who runs a chain of Guest houses in Langkawi and here in Georgetown. She is happy and it is a great opportunity for her to meet people especially those from overseas.

Surely that is the most practical way of solving our difficulties in this present world of chaos? It is because we are not creative, in the sense in which I am using that word, that we are so antisocial at all the different levels of our consciousness. To be very practical and effective in our social relationships, in our relationship with everything, one must be happy; there cannot be happiness if there is no ending, there cannot be happiness if there is a constant process of becoming. In ending, there is renewal, rebirth, a newness, a freshness, a joy.
J.Krishnamurti
So 2009 for me was both OK and not so OK. I have turned sixty and am beginning to feel the age but my heart forever young wishing very much to hit the road again this time perhaps to Sri Lanka my ancestral home or to Cambodia to see the Angkor Wat. Just another dream of mine, part of my on going journeys of self discovery before I kick the bucket. I say Adios to 2009, and Adieu to 2010, a year that this Buddha is going to find his place among the enlightened!!




Insha'Allah!!

No comments: