Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Tribute to a Great Lady

" But I know this much: If your intentions are pure, if you apply your craft with a view to observe humanity and ultimately, God Himself, very often something powerful will surface."
Yasmin Ahmad
Film Maker

Born July 1, 1958, this British-educated Psychology major had years of experience in advertising before turning to the big screen. In her years in the field, she started with firms such as Ogilvy and Mather and eventually rose to be Executive Creative Director at Leo Burnett Malaysia. Her death was confirmed on July 25, around 11.25pm.

She was only 51 when she finally succumbed to a brain hemorrhage from a stroke, which happened as she was presenting working papers. Her body was laid to rest in a Muslim cemetery in USJ SS23, noon of the next day.
And like the life she led, her death last week would leave us a deeply affected, and with no small sense of loss for a talented filmmaker and a woman of great strength - for she has to be, to have weathered through the criticism, the controversy and the challenge of making eye-opening movies in the narrow-sightedness of the industry authorities.
Even as every human being has flaws, there was no flaw about her message to Malaysians - young, old, Chinese, Malay or Indian, rich or poor - that there is more to life than the petty differences of race, and that it is our differences that should draw us closer, and not further apart.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological globe all is available on web?


my web site roasted coffee beans

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new
to me. Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back
often!

Check out my blog - http://soulforce-records.com/new-fashion-trends-with-cheap-asian-clothing/