Monday, May 04, 2009

And this too will pass...

A Sufi tale by Idris Shah

The Sultan was depressed and not knowing what to do about his bouts of depression called upon his wise men to consult. None of these men could come with a solution to this predicament. They could not give the Sultan any advice as to how he could overcome his ups and down and find peace with himself. So off they went to look fortheone person they all agreed might have the answer, the ascetic Jallaludin.
They found the Jallaludin sitting under a palm tree where he had always been found loitering around doing nothing sometimes talking to himself or the small plants and insects around him. The wise men put the Sultan's predicament before him and asked if he could help to elivate the ruler's suffering. Jallaludin pondered upon this request and could not come up with an immediate answer but told the men to return in three days and he will provide them with a solution.
Three days went by and the wise men returned and appraoched Jallaludin at his usual hangout. Well what have you come up with o'wise one they asked. Jallaludin handed them a ring he had forged and told them what to do with it. The wise men returned to the palace and reported to the Sultan of what had transpired and handed him the ring with the instructions given by the ascetic sufi. Your highness they told the Sultan please wear this ring and whenever you feel most elated and joyous remove it and read the inscription written inside and whenever you feel most sad and depressed about something do the same.
The Sultan took the ring and put it on his finger not giving it a second thought. Sometime later while he was feeling very low and depressed the Sultan remebered the ring, took it off and read the inscription that Jallaludin had writtten...and this too will pass... it read. The Sultan felt a sense of relief from being reminded that nothing last forever, the good as well as the not so good.
Thus is the short story written by the great story teller Idris Shah more or less that i remember having read many years ago.

Today I discovered that i had overstayed in Dubai for more than twelve days and most probably have to pay the penalty fine of 100dirham a day and 200dm on the first day! Alhamdullilah! Allah knows best when to put an end to a good time and move on to the next episode. I was a little upset at myself for a while there for being so careless about small things like checking my passport for due dates and so forth but after looking into my heart and talking to my Maker I felt a whole lot better accepting what is as yet another blessing in disguise. I may have to pay up to 1500dirham in fine big deal considering the things i have been able to enjoy here with my two sons and the amount of work i have created and earning more than enough to cover the cost. Had i been too cautious most of what had transpired would not have been as relaxed and due to pressure for time.

The Naz would not have the same opinion most probably but hell what can I say I am going sixty and at my age i am entitled to making a few errors here and there my clock is ticking and who knows how or what is going to grab me sooner or latter. These last few weeks being with my son have made up for all those years i had missed him and the bonus, of missing his younger brother the son I never knew i had till he was seventeen years of age. Timo incidentally just called from Zurich Airport to tell me that he had arrived safely and now taking the train to where he lives.

Alhamdullilah! Alhamdullilah! Thank You Lord for these small favors You have granted me even as You know i hardly deserve any of it. I have transgressed my religion most of my life forgetting and even was even at times so arrogant and defiant towards You. Yet You have made things happen for me often enough that I have no way of expressing my feelings but to say thank You! I love You from the bottom of my heart and let this writing bear witness of this moment of my profess and those who read it will testify to this. Protect me from any more deviations from this moment of surrender, Lord for I do not feel like i have anymore energy to take the challenges. Allow my death in peace and in Thy service and allow no more temptations to delude my mind for it has bee returned to You. Protect me O'Lord from regressions and suppressions and oppressions of tis life even if it means having to yank my soul out of this body to prevent them, it too has been surrendered to You... Inna Lillah Wa' Inna Lillah... from You I have come to You I return. Like the masters before me, I crave not nor fear the fires of Hell or the comforts of Heaven, I too only crave to return to You, my Creator my Home, take me as one of them who has walked through the Siratalmustaqin to the other side and delivered into Your Being.

I, am No More...

2 comments:

Pearls and Gem said...

Ameen, Shamsul!

I like your prayer.
I think He Likes you that is why despite the transgression, past and present,you are still around, and in the present state of mind, alhamdullillah you are OK,He is ok.

Why He likes you, even Jalla-al Din may not be able to answer but I guess He wants you to carry on opening up other people in similar mess, me included, to His way....

He is anyway the Most Gracious and The Most Compassionate.He does not care whether you are King,Prince or just a pauper like you and me. He cares that you are in constant contact with Him, even during your remembrance of Him or during your transgression. The word is 'Contact',my friend.If at any time you are the boss and owner of billions of employees, all your slaves, how would you rate your workers? What KPI's would you use?

Pearls and Gem said...

.....by the way thank you for the reminder about 'letting thing pass '.

Someone very high, through his thoughtless people of course, transgress on my right recently. Following Rumi's advice , I will 'let it pass'.

And I am feeling good already!