Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Karim Bahari off to KL







Dropped off my son at the bus terminal in Sungei Nibong, he is on his way to Kuala Lumpur to spend sometime with his cousins there. His hair colored, his pants hanging delow his skinny butt and in his grungy black sweater, he reminded me of myself at that age only with me it was bell bottoms and rediculous looking high heels not to mention a couple of sexual encounters already in the bag. It is not easy to complain too much about my teen son's idiosyncrasies when I compare his to mine while i was at his age.
Karim just completed his secondary school education and is waiting for the SPM results and has two to three months to kill. So spending sometime in KL learning the ropes about living in the big city is what he needs as karim is a very introverted kind of guy who seldom leaves the house and can spend 24 hours of his time watching the movies on DVDs. He is not a bad kid in any very negative sense of doing drugs or being obnoxious but he is lazy pure and simple when it comes to accomplishing minor tasks such as picking up after himself, or doing his share of the house chores. He is worse than his sister when it comes to staring into the mirror! Karim is very narcisstic and practically worships himself in the mirror, and he would make a great model or a great gigolo if he's smart enough to handle the business!
I do not have high hopes for Karim's performance in his final SPM examination result but I am glad that he even made it to the exam room. Karim never touched his school books at home not unless i threatened to burn all his DVDs. He like technical drawings which is strange but just so much and i doubt that this would turn him into any future space travel technical designer. What does he really want or what does he even dream about? I asked him many times and the answer if it ever came out oh him would be to become a movie director! Another Mel Gibson! Clint Eastwood and James Cameron. I told him that it is a great ambition but he still had to get a good education bla! bla! Whatever it is I have a sneaky feeling that karim is more than he really is and only time will tell what it is that hismind is geared towards and fermenting upon. He is not and will not end up just another kid on th block, there is something growling inside the kid beneath that devil may care take it easy kind of attitude, it is deep and like a quiet storm it is brewing and when the eruption hits the surface heavens forgives for better or for worse. In the meantime i will have to collect his underwears and dirty cloaths for him and bite my tounge and hold back my temper from kicking his skinny butt from shere frusteration but...I love my son.

My son is now on his way for the first time to be on his own among peers and his elders, in a big city that will chew him up and spit him out into the Klang River if he is not careful. Good luck to him and may Allah protect him and show him the way towards achieving his goals. I have tried to share with him as much as i could in getting him to see life in a more positive and productive way and not waste time while in it. I who had not done any better can only show him what I have come to understand it to be in the course of my lifetime. I have experimented with my life in more ways than one and have taken risks and chances more than most, made mistakes and fell into disgrace more times than I care to remember but in the end on looking back I must say that my life aint too bad, it has been well lived with not too many regrets to dwell upon.

1 comment:

jerome said...

come on..
kl was just like home to me then anywhere else..
i felt like i fit in.
the reason
that i never went out of the house was because i hated guys like in sg pinang which no nothing in style or present trend..
kampung boys i guess..
at first i thought that fahim was like me then sooner later he showed his true form..
another kampung boy..
when i was in kl every friend of mine where all high class kids with kind hearts not like in sg pinang..
they knew how to treat a friend..
that is the main reason why i never went out of the..
i just thought watching dvd's and going to the movies would be better thing to..
if you havent notice after i came home to penang i started buying all kind of clothes because i felt left behind..staying in penang just doesnt let me get any better beacuse i cant really find an equal person..
there you have it dad..