Sunday, December 21, 2008

Balinese Hinduism










When I was among the Balinese visiting their homes I sometimes forgot that they were Hindus and assumed them to be Muslims even Malays from the manners and appearences only a whole lot better when it comes to manners. Whenever the fact that they were Hindus struct me in the midst of my socializing with them I felt a kind of sadness in me for them and myself. I really wish deep down that they were Muslims or that I was a Hindu just like them. There was so much humanity and kindness in their ways that in itself I was affected to their culture. They cared and it showed in everything they do and said, in every move and rituals they endeavored it was written all over their faces. This was what the Golden age of Hinduism was like perhaps in its most corrupted sense as modernization has not spared its claws even here in paradise or what is left of it.
I asked a stranger late one night while walking home from my late dinner in Ubud if it was safe to be walking so late in the night. He said to me not to worry there is always someone watching over your safety even if you do not know it, you are our guest here and your safety is our resposibility. After walking a few blocks on down a car passed alongside me and slowed down. A head stuck out the window and the man asked if I was alright or did i need a lift home. I thanked him and waved him off, it was a patrol car and the driver waved back as it drove off. I realize that all good things must come to an end somehow, sometime, but i hope that Ubud will take its time before succumbing to what is called modernization today. I hope the simple folks who daily line the street peddling their wares will still remain cheerful and cutiers despite the arrogance and the thoughtlessness of the rich visitors who came to spend their time away from it all.
The Bali that I saw was I am sure far removed from what it was some years ago before greed, hate and ignorance had taken its toll upon the locals. However it is still somewwhat a paradise where it felt like this was what humans are supposed to be like in any given society at least the affection for one another and the respect for each other.
There is something about the brand of Hinduism that is not like your average hindu you find in Malaysia, the seem to be missing the sense of arrogance of being a Hindu. There was no apprent need to prove who one is or what one's nationality or ethnic heritage is as it is with the Indians or hindus in Malaysia. Like the Chinese and the Malays the Indians here have to exert extra push upon who they are in order to make sure that they get what they righfully deserve in a multi-racial society. Bali is not the case and thus there is no need for any exageration of being who or what one is or belongs to. Balinese Hinduism is Hinduism as it was hundreds of years ago where there was no threat from any external forces to content with. (relatively speaking off course.)

No comments: