Monday, July 28, 2008

Penang Heart and Soul 2




Three days left for the exhibition to be over and thus far I am quite happy with the sales of my works and the number of new acquaintences I have made both local and foreigners. One of the more pleasant surprise I had was walking into the Director of the Terengganu State Museum who was visiting the Penang State Gallery and he happened to know my twin brother quite well and imediately mistook me for my brother. After awhile i told him of my propossal of oppening an open studio type of activity as part of the Terengganu Museum to woo more participation from the locals in Art and various other activities and he seemed interested. I had sold a few pieces of my works so far and if all goes accordingly I have the next few months' budget safely lined up plus the fact that the Ramadan is approaching my financial woes could be lessen.

Arrived at the State Art Gallery early this moprning and met with two European ladies a Swiss and a Swede who has great interest in Art and as a matter of fact the Swedish lady is an Artist and is in the process of sttling down in Penang where her husband works for a company processing Medical instruments based in Sungai Petani. We had a good long discussion viewing my works and it was pleasant for me to be able to share with them my thoughts and ideas about my works. It was interesting to listen to them of their ideas about Art appreciation and their personal experiences with being travellers and being able to learn of others' cultural understanding from a European's point of view. Most of the discussion we had was about the multi - ethnic society of this country and how it affects Art and creativity here especially with Malaysia being a Muslim country. They were also curious about what it is like being an artist from the political point of view in this country whethr it is as strict as it is in Singapore or China when Art takes on a political expression. I told them that I am not a political but a social commentator when it comes to Art and that i like to promote solutions whenever possible through my creative actions as in painting or sketching. I try to promote a sense of collective iniversal thinking instead of trying to promot my own cultural heritage of which it hard for me to pinpoint anyway. I cannot consider myself anything but a Penang born, Malaysia Artist and as such having lived abraod for almost half my life my view of life is shrt of Global in nature and thus my sense of expression.

Yesterday being the last Sunday of the month was also the Little Penang Street Market day and i was asked to provide a children's art class as part of the activities for the day. There was a 'Kuda Kepang' presentation among other cultural entertainment and the Chief Minister made an appearence as it was also the two years anivesary of the Little Penang Project. I did a painting of the Kuda Kepand performance while it was in progress and it was donated to the troupe which was brought for the occaision all the way from Johor. It was a very impressive performance with the sound of Gamelan type of music and heavy smell of 'kemian' or insence used by the Malays as part of a spiritual ceremony and in this case the invoking of spirits for the show. It is believed that the performaers were possesed by various spirits while they performed which in actuality turned them into horses in nature. I enjoyed doing the painting and the fact that it was bought om the spot gave me a special sense of accomplishment.

In the audience was also a lady who is in charge of promotion at the Queens Bay Mall ans she asked me if i could do the same at the Mall next week end for three consequtive days and i said I would not knowing exactly what I am going to do. But as the saying goes, Carpe Diem! Seize the opportunity for it only knocks once and it is for a reason. So the next few days I will have to figure out how I can benifit from this venture. Needless to say the door is slowly oppening one after another for me and I believe it is just a matter of time before i can taste the fruit of my years of nurturing my abilities as an Artist. Patience! I have been told time and again and perseverence, after all what else is there to do?

No comments: