Thursday, July 10, 2008

Freeing the Soul




The Penang, Heart and Soul exhibition is another effort at baring my spirit ans soul wide open for my own benifit in the process of self analysis or towards self discovery through Art and writing. There are as i have kept reminding myself thisngs and events in my life that I cannot fully reveal for obvious reasons one of which it might incriminate me in the court of law like getting my ass sued by some long forgotten event that might have pissed off some one beyond forgiving. But otherewise i have tried my best to tell myself of the events that I had experienced and the people whose life I have touched positive or negatively, the successes i have had and the failures I incurred just like a confessional to a non existant priest or to the Universe. I am not asking for any response from anyone and am very happy to see that my Blog is hardly visited or commented upon. I am not trying to justify my existance or why I am alive but on the other hand am trying to come to understand the whys and the wherefore, not the what ifs or the what could have been but the how to.

In a way my blog cannot help but be viewed as a didatic or even as an Autobiographical theses for those who indulge into such simmilar fruitless venture for lack of better things to do in life. If it is I am glad if it can be of help in any small way for someone else to find any small sense of wisdom to be gained from these rambblings, otherwise suffice to say that this is my own journey, the path i have chosen to untangle the tanlges of my own personal life. What is also the truth is that i enjoy writing just as much as I enjoy sketching or painting and why not? It beats the hell out of watching DVDS or reading about the political soap operas in the local News Papers.It beats the ehll out of worrying about where the next rent and car payment is going to come from or if my son is interested in school or not or if my wife will ever wake up from her catatonic state while wheel chair ridden somewhere in the State of Illinois' Nursing Home. Most of all it beats the hell out of wondering if I'd go to Heaven or Hell when I die.

Simmilarly when I am sketching or painting or doing any form of creative activity I go through the same mind state where tiem flies swiftly without my being aware that two or three hours had passed me by unnoticed and the travails of my life forgotten. This is in a sense is what i find sitting Zazen or meditation does to my mind just before i go to sleep or when I wake up every morning. meditating has become a part of my life just as much as smoking ciggarettes is and i wish i can quit the later but that is another story. The most benificial aspect of meditative effort is in getting in touch with my physical body where with every breath I conciously take in and out reveals all the aches and pains of the day's or the night's activities and am able to unleash most of the kinks and tightness that had accumulated in certain areas due to one excess activity or another. The shoulders are often the most subjected to aches and pains for obvious reasons throughout the day and usually the neck suffers from the sleeping period. Breathing is a sure way to unwind the physical contractions that we subject ourselves throughout our daily actvities whether driving or sketching. How often we forget to pay attention towards our postures in every activity we undertake and over a period of time our body athrophied especially in the areas most subjected to the activity we are undertaking. like writng this blog which causes the lower back pains and the shoulder aches at the end of the day. These can be avoided simply by taking long deep breaths and closing one's eyes to re- arrange or re-allign one's posture thus allowing for better blood circulation. The breathing exercise will bring our conciouness towards our inner being as well like getting centered again after drifting too far away from it.


This the practice primarily of Hatha Yoga and Pranayama Yoga, that of the body and breath. I have incorporated among my practice most of my adult life some form of these exersises which i find had helped me tremendosely in keeping my body and mind from getting lethargic or indollent, from drifting off into la- la- land and with the eventual ending of taking a nap or resorting to a smoke. This is an Art, this is the Art of knowing yourself just as much as writing and sketching are and the more deeper or thorough one practices these disciplines the more in touch one becomes with one's Soul and the closer one gets InSha'Allah to one's Maker. To dive deep into one's primordial state of being, the state of original nature or the state before one was conceived by the parents takes a whole lifetime of practice from avoiding the pitfalls and recharging the worn out energy supplies, from harnessing untapped anergies to being able to detatch the mind and body from the influences of the surrounding environment, this is discipline and it takes a certain amount of discipline to even begin the journey towards arriving at this just like the effort to begin a painting.

No comments: