Sunday, June 01, 2008

Terengganu Kite (Kee-te)



On Friday last my children decided that we had enough of watching movies on the DVD and the city of Georgetown and so decided to head for Kuala Terengganu driving my Kancil which was completely restored the day before. I was hesitant no having much confidence in the ability for the car to travel so far without giving trouble. We made it and had a good time getting here where I am right now at Fadli's computer shop at the wee hours of the morning like we used to do in the good old days when I was living at Tok Jembal close to the Telaga Batin Airport. We had just arrived from Tepoh a small town fifteen minutes north of here after hanging out and having a plate of fried Koay Teow and Nescafe tarik just like we used to do in the good old days. Azhar and Sazman were there the group was complete and the topic these is cameras and who or what can take better pictures. Sazman was all out defending Pentax while Fadzli was defending Cannon while Azhar was still contemplating on getting a camerra , after all these years.
My Brother in law was taken to the Kuala LUmpur Cancer care Unit yesterday and I had the good chance of silently communicating through our touch. I held his hand while meditating deeply and felt the tiny squeezes he applied to my fingers clasped in his bony fingers. I felt his presence although his eyes were closed like one in a coma. We had a long conversation in my mind. It felt as though we were carrying on a normal conversation after a while and I notice every time my mind looses its focus on our connection I would feel his squeeze of my fingers! It was quite an experience having sat there holding his bony fingers while my mind was empty of thoughts but just feeling what was going on, it made my journey worthwhile.
Tomorrow is the wedding day for my friend Hashim's daughter at his house in Pulau Duyong and I look forward to the event as Noor is like my own daughter from the days when I was giving the kids from around the area free tuition in English. Most of the kids from the Pulau Duyong area still calls me Sir. I am staying at the Yellow House a group of shalets built on water and run by Awi or Aboh as we all call him. There are not too many occupants at the Yellow House despite the SUKMA Games going on in Terengganu at the moment. The games are being help at the newly constructed stadium complex located near the airport right in front of the house that my family and I rented when we first moved back to Terengganu. I have only drove by but have not entered the facility, it looks quite an architecture from far,like a superdome from somewhere in the USA.
No doubt Terengganu is fast changing in appearance most for the better except for unfinished road constructions which is not in sync with the big SUKMA event going on where Malaysians from all over the country have converged here to enjoy the school vacation away from home and at the same time be a part of a National event. Terengganu had rarely suffered from traffic jams but the past few days and nights the roads have been a nightmare to drive. However despite the dusty roads and traffic jams the vehicles came from all over judging from their number plates. It is a great event for the Terengganu folks who have never really enjoyed such a major event in sports held in a most updated state of the art stadium and various other sports facility. It is something to be proud of. It is just hoped that after this event the facility will continue to be fully utilized by the locals.
Unlike the Crystal Mosque and Islamic complex built on the bank of the Terengganu River, the Stadium complex is more popular among the local community it is not seen as a waste of their tax money. The Crystal Mosque and the Islamic heritage complex, the brainchild of the former Menteri Besar, Dato Idris Jusoh is being boycotted by most of those i have spoken to here. Most have not been to see the mosque as yet unless forced to take their visiting relatives from other of the country, those who have read about it or saw it on TV. I have taken a trip to the mosque when I came here a last month and my first impression as to its architectural design was that it gave me a sterile feeling. It does not blend well with the landscape of the area like a magic kingdom of Disneyland built out in the wild. As you drive along the Sultan Mahmud Bridge heading north out of town you can get a good view of its splendor from the distance and from this view the mosque and its adjacent complex appears out of the ordinary especially at sunset.
I have no idea when my kids and I would head on back to Penang but so far I must say I am glad we made the trip as my children got to be with their old friends and I get to be with mine. A lot of memories is triggered everywhere we go here and most of these and been good memories especially it reminded us of Nancy my wife who lived here for at least six years of her life until she fell ill. Today sadly enough she is vegitating away in a nursing home in Illinois, USA. Karim my son is staying at his adopted parents' home at teh Army barracks in Telaga Batin and marissa is at MOhd. Rafi's and they are both happy to be where they are at.

No comments: