Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Dean (USM) Art Faculty

I decided to do an outdoor painting on a 2x4 feet canvasse using acrylic medium and chose the Art Department building on the uSM campus for the location. Borrowing an easel from the office of the faculty i found a corner to work from that gives me a part view of the building's entrance and its front. The trees around this area are old and makes a good subject to work with. I worked till the early afternoon and was often interupted by faculty members and students who had a question or two as they stopped by on their way to or from classes. I was doing my publicity stunt for my upcoming show! Soon just about veryone on campus would know about the show, I hope and who knows one or two might even decide to drop in and view it.
The Dean of the Art faculty is a friend of my twin brother and so are a few of the other Art Faculty members and they know me from my looks which is the mirror image of his. I told the Dean that i was going to the Nothern state of perlis to see a healer for me and for my wife and how i met a good masseuse. He immediately became intrested in joining me of my next trip as he had been looking for a good massage himself. So I told him i would try and make the arrangement for him as it was not entirely for me to decide but my cousin has to give his okey too.
It is strange that when my friend the late Cikgu Yusof was alive he had told me that the Dean is a distant relative of his and that the dean was sicj and in need of help to remove whatever has been cursed on him. Physically he was sick at the time and most doctors and friends thought it was cancer but he seemed to have recovered after seeing a healer and now after all these time we met and here i am taking him to a healer myself without him knowing that i have known his situation through my late friend the Cikgu his distant relative whom he refused to see back then and accept the offer to help. What is my intention at the end of the day? I want to do my masters degree and he can make a difference in my being accepted or not but that is in the distant future and in the mean time i have just to carry out my long term plan of selling myself and hopefully my works in the process. I had tried to make a direct approach before and was snubbed by him and the rest of the faculty members in the past but now i have drawn them out into the open and peeled the layers of skin they wear for masks, now I have come to know who i am dealing with and who i should deal with if i am to get anywhere at this University.
Thus far i have got to use the printmaking studio and materials provided, printed some 70 good mono prints worthy of the upcoming show. I have procured a solo exhibition at the Muzium Gallery of the Campus which is the number two most prestigious Gallery space in town. I have established my name in the who is who of the artists in the Northern region of this country and to my pleasant surprise strangers are begining to I have heard that name before when I told them who I am. By right i am about ready to launch my career as an artist at long last! ha! My hair is growing long and i have decided no more haircuts and my facial hair too is being left to grow freely to create a new look for this next phase of my life as an artist. As artists they say we can look as ugly as we want to and there is little anyone can say about it and it does work although the government agency officials frown at you when you step into their space. I want to look like El Pacino in Serpico! The older version of him that is.
In April next year i have been slotted to have a solo exhibition at the state gallery here, the main gallery in town. It is gratifying to know that my application was accepted without even a deliberation whether i should be allowed to or not, maybe it is my old age! I look forward to this show already! I dont know what the hell i am going to produce or what or how I am going to pay for it but hell that is what being an artist is all about aint it? As an artist what else can one leave for posterity and for one's cildren as a proof that one's life was not lived in vain? That it all di not boil down to nothing, Nada! No, at the very least as artist leaves his works here and there scattrered all over the world in homes and offices in galleries and hey why not muzeums!! Yeesir! It is all out there and written in the sand on the wall and under the bridges, the Bahari is about to become known to the world just as the Cheeseburger Buddha is about to puke all over the internet blog!

No comments: