Monday, July 02, 2007

APOCALYPTO

Funny how I thought all the while that the DVD I had borrowed from Isabel was the movie Apocalypse Now with Marlon Brando in it, the classic Vietnam war biproduct in the theaters. Well it turned out to be a pleasant surprise as my daughter was trying to convince me that it was not an old movie but a recent production and the directed by Mel Gibson no less. Off course I did not know this either untill the credits came after the movie. I was shocked to say the least and felt myself transported perhaps like Joseph Conrad, in the Heart of Darkness where horror and innocence coexist as a means of routine survival. From the movie I had a good glimpse of understanding the nature of 'fear' and how it can work for or against one.
The movie was very well done in every aspect of artistic as well technological production and the actors were real as realistic as can be, the movie was almost like an anthropological documentary of a native tribe of bygone era depicting the life of the Mayas or perhaps the Incas and their sacrificial rituals. What made such a strong impact upon me about the movie was that I was not prepared for it or I had no idea whatsoever to expect from the beginning, no preconceived idea what it was going to be about having assumed that it was a movie about the Vietnam War. Mel Gibson surpassed himself again like he did in 'Braveheart'. It is good to discover that nomatter how far into the teconological realm we have ventured to create an added dimension to our so called reality there is still the ability for someone to create out of the ordinary and make it a virtual living historical feature. The movie'300' was perhaps a little zealous in a politcal sense of the West domination over the East syndrome perhaps with the intention of collecting psychological mileage over the masses but the movie itself was quite well done in the millitary perspective where the few faced the multitude and brought the mighty monarch to his knees all because of pride and arrogance.

No comments: