Sunday, April 02, 2006

Back down to Earth..

I am typing this at the Internet Cafe where I first started writing my blogs since I arrived in Penang. Beside me sits a Malay staring into the screen with earphones hanging from his ears and on my left a young Vietnamese lady sits typoing away with her earphones strappped across her head, she had a problem a few minutes ago dropping her hand phone to the floor while in the process of attracting my attention for help. There is a conversation going on behind me between an Indian Muslim and a Bangladeshi about jobs of possibilities and prospects, they speak in Malay.
This is the typical scenario that one finds these days in whatever human environment one is in albeit at the supermarket or on a crowded Mini Bus here in Penang! Not that I mind the mixed groups of Nationals minggling and living the life in one place but the feeling of forebodence is inside me. The number of immigrant workers is so prevaillent that the economy or even the infr-structure of the this very might collapse in the event that they all leave in one drive. Sometimes you begin to wonder who owns the home the maid or the resident and the workers are more daring by the day, the lack of respect for local residents is beginning to emerge as more and more same nationals are able to form their own collective body.
It is a convenient act for any foreigner to hide behind the state of ignorence when they are accosted for whatever reason, play dumb, the I dont know what you are looking at look.I know cause I was a legal Alien in America for 21 years of my life and 3 years in Japan, as aliens, one learns the art of survival as a human being while he or she walks this earth. However while in ones own hometown and backyard one has to walk the opposite of the track, it is the survival of staying intact and not being dispossesed within one's own home, the break up of a society from the onslaught of globalization. This country, Malaysia is gambbling with human resources while hiring cheaper labors and attaint rapid growth at the expense of the country loosing its identity or possibly end up in chaos at the end of the day or become a really trully developped nation with the strongly balanced economic as well as human resources...what about the environment?!!

Tomorrow is my day off and i look forward to statong up late and possibly do some painting on canvas, I am struggling too much with the latest piece i am working on which is a group of Hindu dancers taken from a news paper. It is a beautiful picture well choreographed for grace, balnce and energy. I have completed a painting I would like to call.. (Al-Insan- Qamil)or the Universal Conciousness as translated by Ahmed Hulusi in one of his articles on "Muhammad"s Allah".
It is a painting that is sort of depicting the Mystical Journey of the Human Mind in seek of its Devine origin. I chose the Dragon to represent the Male dominant Nature while the Phoenix to symbolize Femininty, Light and Heavy, soft and hard, the Cosmic nature of the Universe also being represented in the Cosmic Mandala the Ying and Yang, the Black against White tadpoles in a disc.Above hnags the "Insan Qamil", a homo Sapien straddling a globe while spinning through the Universe among stars and black holes. Oh well something like that and its quite big maybe about Imeter in length and in oil. It came out okey I might add because i had a great time towards the end of the process of putting this whole outdated scenario in living colors! Now lets see whet they comment about it at the show.
There has been offers to include a martial Art exhibition by a Malay Silat Group in Kampung Rawa where I was introduced to the Instructor Encik Zainal. He suggested that he would invite his Westerners students and his Chinese students to join in the Presentation for the oppening of my Solo Exhibition which would fall on Labor day that is the first of May. There even be a Mr.Tambourine Man as i mentioned earlier at the show too.
The University Muzium has got my works where they will reframe or remount my canvasses, I still could use a few larger paintings said the Director Encik Hasnul. Only The Almighty can keep me from creating at present aND I PRAY THAT ALLAH will keep me in good health to fulfill this first and most probably final show i will have here in my Hometown, Georgetown, Pulau Pinang (Penang).

No comments: