Saturday, February 04, 2006

KungXi Fa Chai!

The Chinese New came and went and as with every national celebrations and public holidays I was working selling ferry tickets to happy people on their happy vacations. Vacations they have earned after working all the year round to save up the time and money to have some good time with friends and family away from home. Sadly enough in Malaysia a good number never made it to their destinations or home as they end up as road accident victims. Malaysian looses their lives on the roads more and more each year so much so that we do not need a war to keep our population from exploding. However for those who made it to the ferry terminal i kept reminding myself that I am there to make their visit to the resort a welcome experience worth their time and money at least I try to make them feel welcome. I am the Gate Keeper to the Resort, I told my bosas one day as the guests who walks throught eh terminal meets and greets me and I them first, whatever their impressions of the place after that depends on their first impression of how they were met at the gate. This is my job, this is the job of anyone who holds simmilar position as I do at any Hospitality facility. If you ever get a chance to stay at a four or five star Japanese Hotel you will get a good taste of what being welcome is all about.

In the past few days of the Chinese New Year holidays we made good selling the resort, it was the most I have ever collected and the boss seemed a little happier.I hope this will keep up into the future. As for my children well the girl has decided to test my stand on how much perimeters I would allow her now that she is growing into a teenager. In short she is rebelling and getting supports from her cousins who are a year or two older than her. I see trying times ahead with her and that is to be expected after all she is a Bahari. My son is doing better at being himself the TV addict and the kid who has not found what he is looking for. So far they are doing good as they are not into drugs or any form of negative activities that parents dread these days.

I have decided to take a few days off next week starting Monday and head for Terengganu to see my brothers and sisters and friends over there. Catch up with what has been going on and share a few details as to my plans here. perhaps if i can borrow a few dollars here and there to get my art show preparation going. I also want to get back whatever i have elft of my art materials so that i can start on a few apintings to supplement for the show a I found that I am missing quite a few of my works here, either misplaced or stolen. I look forward to taking a break from this island and the life here, even from my children. Got to sit by the ocean at Tok Jembal where we used to live and where I spent alot of time staring out at the horizon wondering what might be. I have come a long way from driving a fancy car and having a bungalo for a residence and eating out every night, today I am living on practically borrowed money. But such is, such is. Lets see waht tomorrow brings.

Got an email from an old friend in Japan, what a pleasent surprise! Emi Yanagisawa, what a lovely lady! And found another friend that I used to hang out with at the Rossi Park in San Francisco where I used to babysit my children when my wife was teaching at UC Berkley Extension on Market Street. Well it is good to know that there are those who care to slow down and look into what is going on in the life and times of the Cheeseburger Buddha.

No comments: