Sunday, May 29, 2005

What has become of my family?

So far there is no news from my family in the US and I am a little concern as to what the doctors there has to say about my wife. I am torn between forgetting them for the time being and focus on what I am setting out to do but the thought of their well being still is at the back of my mind. I hope and pray that they are all okey and enjoying the summer in Illinois with their grandmother and other relatives.
Here in Penang I am gearing down towards packing my luggage into a back pack and accumulating all the tips and the do's and donts' of travelling in Indonesia. While in Penang I also spend a good amount of the night times shooting the breeze with my friend and teacher Cikgu Yusof who would take me to his watering hole where a group of friends would gather for a long discussion about anything and everything but every once in a while the topic of religious practice would be debated. I have learned a great deal about Islam while having my Nescafe tarik, Cikgu Yusof is somewhat of an authority on the subeject of Sufism and the metaphysics aspect of Islam. It is good to be able to sit and carry out a conversation with men of your age who are well seasoned in their rsepective life and careers, men who grew up here most of their lives and whose intrests ranges beyond watching TV or soccer games. Open minded individuals who knows the inside stories of the politics of the country or the interpretation of the verses in the Holy Book.With this group of people I can share my thoughts and feelings of my 24 odd years of travelling and seeking without feeling like I am bragging getting back honest responses without being made to feel small or insignificant as I would with my own brothers in Kuala Terengganu. I feel being accepted and respected by these gentlemen for who I am and what I have achieved in my life despite my not being independantly wealthy or successful in life. I wish my elder brothers were as understanding and compassionate sometimes instead of judging me in the negative and letting their wives delivering the blows at me while they sat and watched like educated tombstones. The fact that I never take their wives to task is out of respect for them never seemed to register in their minds anymore.

No comments: