Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Georgetown Penang

I was seen off by my Friends Raof and Rafi and Rafi's family at the bus stand in Kuala Terengganu and while loading my luggage in the undercarriage of the bus I was asked to become a translator for the bus driver who was having a hard time convincing a couple of Cyclists from Europe that hteir bicycles were taking up too much space in the luggage compartment. The couple told me that the person at the counter had told them that it was okey to do it at no extra cost but the driver insists that they had to pay 50RM for each of the bicycles. I did my best to explain both side's arguments and left them.
The six hour bus ride from K.TR. to Penang was as uneventful as in the past and I sat beside a history teahcer who was on his way to confirm his acceptance at the University sains Malaysia in Penang to do a master's degree program. We got to talking and soon I was defending myself on the choices I had chosen in dealing with my present predicament. He thought that I should make every effort tobe with my family in the United States but after listening to my reasons he changed his mind and wished me success in my travels in Indonesia.
I was picked up my my cousin Salleh a the new Bus stand in Penang early in the morning and spent the day in Sungei Pinang justifying to just every Tom Dick and harry about my trip to Indonesisa and they all looked at me like I have flipped at last but they played along with me not to be too discouraging.

No comments: